THE SEED WHISPERER

You know, everyone has a talent or two.

Some are really showy, like singing or acting or baking.

And some are tiny. Like....SEED tiny. You guys I think I have a hidden talent:


I AM SEED WHISPERER.


'What's a seed whisperer?' you ask. I'm glad you asked (even if you didn't. But you were thinking of asking it, I'm sure)!

It's a new term I made up, and I'm allowed to make it up because I'm a bonafide author, and so therefore it's my legal right to make up words and phrases that mean stuff. If you don't believe me go see how many words Shakespeare made up that we now use as everyday words. GO AHEAD.

Anyway. 

/end nerd rant/

Seed whisperer. A seed whisperer is a person (like me, apparently) that sticks seeds in soil and despite EVERY SCIENTIFIC REASON AND GOOD OL' FARM KNOWLEDGE SAYING IT'LL TAKE DAYS/WEEKS FOR A SEED TO GERMINATE, grows within a matter of a few days. Even seeds that are supposed to be notoriously hard to grow and have a low germination rate.


 HERE IS PICTURE PROOF OF THIS TALENT:


LOOKIT THOSE TINY WHITE BUMPS. THOSE ARE SEEDS SPROUTING




In case you couldn't tell, those are tomatoes. Except for the ones without a name tag. Those are artichokes. but we'll get to the artichokes soon. OH WE'LL GET THERE.

See these adorable sprouts? Guess what. I planted those 3 days ago. They all popped up this morning on day 3. I checked the packages. They have a 7-14 day germination. And every time I've planted seeds (over the course of many years) they've all grown. EVERY SINGLE SEED.

I can even get seeds with low germination rates to a grow. For instance, I ordered Rhubarb seeds from Bakers Creek (my freaking favoritest seed store in all the world!) and planted half a seed starter kit with the seeds because on the back of the package it said that they had a low germination rate (aka, only 50% would actually sprout).

How many germinated?

EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKING. ONE.

So I was stuck with 12 rapidly growing rhubarb plants. I gave most away. I then went and researched rhubarb because honestly, I just wanted to grow them to make apple/rhubarb spiced pie. I hadn't actually gone and looked at what growing conditions it needed.

FUN FACT: Rhubarb is usually grown by splitting the crown (the roots) in the winter and replanting them. Now you have 2 rhubarb plants. The reason for this is because growing rhubarb from seed is very hard to do.

.......

DO YOU SEE WHAT I'M GETTING AT NOW?

And those artichoke seeds?

I followed the directions I'd read on a lil' blog and they said you had to soak them for 24 to 38 hours and then wait 7 to 21 days for the seeds to germinate. So I soaked them for 32. Then I stuck them in the dirt last night.

Tonight I saw that the soil looked disturbed and I saw the tops of the seeds. "Oh no!" I cried, "I didn't push the seeds in deep enough!" I went to gently push them back into the dirt.

They. Wouldn't. BUDGE.

I wiggled it slightly. It hardly moved.

GUYS.

IT HAD SPROUTED ALREADY.

ONE. FREAKING. DAY.

How is that even possible!?

I don't know! All I know is that it sprouted in 24 hours.

All I know is that I'm a seed whisperer.

That or maybe I'm a pixie?

WHO KNOWS.


How about you guys? Are you a seed whisperer? Do things just freaking magically grow for you regardless of season? Have you grown anything not knowing it's supposed to be hard to grow but it was actually easy? THIS GARDENER WANTS  TO KNOW!

Comments

Popular Posts