The Perpetual Spring Garden

I have a confession to make.

I think my garden is guarded and tended to by pixies.

Or gnomes. 

Hell, probably both!

The reason I think this is because while everyone's gardens (even around here!) are dying and losing leaves, my garden has decided "it must be spring!"

And I wish I were kidding about that.

I don't have a lot of pictures yet, but I'll get them. For now you'll just have to use your imagination and read words. But my garden seems to be perpetually in spring. My apple tree was growing an apple in the fall last year, and earlier this year in March it started growing NEW apples while it was at it.

How?

Pixies.


Why?

Pixies, obviously. 


At least that's my reasoning. Because there's NO WAY this should be happening. But in my garden it does.

Image may contain: plant, flower, tree, outdoor and nature

Lookit this apple tree guys. I have a semi-dwarf hybrid apple tree with Fuji, Jonagold, and Grannysmith. The pic above is of my fuji apple going bonkers and growing new leaves. All of the other's suddenly started doing the same thing.

It's October, guys. 

OCTOBER.

And that's not the only plant that's being aided by pixies. My strawberries are growing suckers (I've stuck them in another pot), my raspberries are growing new shoots, my rhubarb has grown not one, but two baby crowns (aka, two new plants) that I now have to figure out how to cut out and plant in new pots without killing all of them, and my elderberry plants are still growing strong.

It's just....weird. My plants are all suddenly springing to life when they should be yawning and making tea and getting ready for a long winters nap.

But no. It's perpetual spring up in this place.

And because my garden is growing and being bountiful I did the smart thing:

I bought more plants.

Or rather, I'm going to buy more plants this week. My local nursery is having an amazingly good deal on their fruit and nut trees, and so I said to myself "hey, you're a renter, and you're about to go on a fun trip to Europe, you should definitely buy these plants before you go!"

So I'm including into my garden this week: An almond tree, a cherry tree, and an apple tree. 

Because why not? I'm actually still debating about the apple tree, but I'm for sure getting the almond and cherry, both of which are self fertilizing--because at the end of the day, when I someday have to move from this renter home, I'm taking my plant babies with me and well...I can't be having 2 almonds and 2 cherries and 3 apple trees now can I?

But I digress!

The point is, my garden is teaming with life, the bees that live in my next door neighbor's orange tree are happily buzzing around my flowering basil, and every freaking plant is growing new shoots. 

Because again, I'm pretty sure my garden is being protected by pixies and gnomes. 

How about you guys? Do you have a garden that seems to be growing and blooming with life against all odds (and seasons)? 

Comments

Popular Posts